Friday 19 March 2010

Tantalizing Tarte au Citron!

All in the name of research! I've been trekking around Paris these past few days vintage shopping and scouring the best patisseries. Yes I know - lame excuse seeing as I haven't been updating my blog. Again, today, I found the desperate need to broadcast my love for this AMAZINGLY delectable treat. Lo and behold - it's another tarte au citron!

Au Levain de Marais
Add: 32 Rue de Turenne, 3rd
Metro: Chemin Vert
Tel: 01 42 78 07 31
Tues-Sat 7am-8:30pm

In total I splurged and got three treats here - tarte au citron (lemon tart), tarte au chocolate et framboise (chocolate and raspberry tarte), and a macaron framboise (raspberry macaron) for a total of 7.20 Euros. The reviews for the latter two will be written at another time.


Tarte au citron - 2.80 Eur

Pure heaven. This is the BEST tarte au citron I've had thus far. Yes, yes I know I said that on my previous post about the one at Veronique Mauclerc... this one IS BETTER. Oh and it's actually cheaper! To cut a long story short, the filling is comparable which makes it stellar already. The crust, mes petites, is the tiebreaker.

Filling: (I couldn't help myself - Almost half gone already!)
Taste: 10/10 tangy, burst of refreshing citrusy heaven and just sweet enough. A complete dream. The aftertaste it leaves just keeps you fantasizing about the next time you sink your teeth into one of these!
Texture: 9.9/10 Smooth, refined, and creamy. Only reason I didn't give it a 10 was that my initial impression said that it could be just the sliiiiiiiightest bit creamier and, what if I find another lemon tart that beats this one later?


Crust: (Close-up beauty shot! Can you see the texture?)
Taste: 9.9/10 It tastes great by itself - fully flavored and ready to crumble. There's a hint of cinnamon that adds to its depth. My opinion only, but by itself there's a... slightly odd taste of herbs or spices I can't quite put my finger on it. Eaten with the filling, as you're supposed to, is simply divine. You don't taste any of that somewhat strange flavor.
Texture: 9.9/10 Buttery, crumbles when it's supposed to with just the tiniest suggestion of a crunch, this pairs perfectly with the creamy, tangy filling. Honestly, the only reason I didn't give it a 10/10 is because, well, I'm a little scared of giving full marks now. I'm not ruling out the possibility that there's a better tarte au citron out there, so I'm leaving room for that. I think I might just have to edit my previous post about the tarte at Veronique Mauclerc...

Overall Appearance: 9/10 I thought it was quite pretty! The nonchalantly caramelized top and dusting of confectioner's sugar add a nice touch to the dollop of lemon custard sitting on a butter cookie. Even better? When it's in your mouth.
Overall Value: 10/10 This stunning. And it's really, really not overpriced at all for a lemon tart. The chain bakeries I've seen charge more than 2.90 Euros. It costs less than the one at Veronique Mauclerc! Do your taste buds a favor and run, fly, SWIM to Au Levain de Marias to savour this tarte!

Oh and did I mention? The whole package is handed to you in a pretty wrapped box :)



...and while you're at it, check out the nearby(ish) vintage shops on Rue de Rosiers. Will post a more detailed entry of specific shops when I find the time... it is now 2 am.

Happy tasting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment