Thursday 12 February 2009

Food @ HKUST Part I - Bistro

The day before yesterday was a happy happy day, dear reader, even though I am starting to feel ancient. I gorged down three different slices of cake too - amazingly, I didn’t feel sick at all. Maybe I’ll regret it fifty years from now, toothless. And shaking a cane at my granddaughter.

Dear reader, understand that I am a food fanatic. My friends who were pampered by exquisite and inexpensive food in their high school years are now complaining to me about the insipid cafeteria food at their universities. There is a certain amount of schadenfreude in me, so I smugly detail the ARRAY OF CHOICE of food at HKUST. Of course, it’s not haute cuisine, but HAH! – there are two places where I can get dim sum on campus! I can have udon! I can have an avocado-smoked turkey Panini, oozing with cheese! Curse it, and all my meals are under four bucks. Drinks/soup included.

I digress. HKUST has a subsidized Bistro that is a very good restaurant at a very good price. Because it was my birthday, my friends and I got drinks on the house. The bartender arranged three wine glasses on the base and stacked an inverted glass on top. A bigger wine glass held a peachy alcoholic drink. The bartender then LIT the drink and poured the flaming liquid down the glass pyramid. Impressive! I wish I took a picture, but the sight took my breath away and I could only drink in the pretty sight.

The Bistro’s burger is 55 HKD, less than $7 and is delicious. Good old grilled chicken Caesar salad, hearty lasagna, simple sandwiches and others are on the menu. Though the menu is not comprehensive, the food quality is amazing for its price, as is the décor and service. Of course, the Bistro charges higher than our cafeterias. Still, no complaints!

So, dear friends, how about coming-a-coming to HKUST?

2 comments:

  1. avocado-smoked turkey Panini ?!?! the cafes @ust do have fancy food :O
    would you like to invite me to the cafe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. just wait til i learn how to drive. then i'll be going to eat all this delicious food that will make you jealous too!

    ReplyDelete